註冊 登入

打印

Draft: PhD and Beyond

[隱藏]
Hi narius, thank you for sharing so much information here. I am currently  an research fellow  in an university in Uk on a two- year contract. I am wondering if I leave the university to stay a few years in industrial labs such as the HP labs or some national labs , do I still have the big chance to go back the academia? Because my ultimate goal is to go back HK's universities following the path like associate professor ->professor

實用相關搜尋: University OU

回覆 引用 TOP

Sorry for stepping into your territory ( I mean this particular thread), Dr Narius.
Dr Sunshine, I'd like to honestly tell you that if you really want to be an Asso Prof in HK, you should first of all gain adequate teaching, research and admin experience from an academic post at the level of lecturer (equivalent to assistant prof in HK) or above in a UK uni. In addition, you should build up your excellent track record of publication in top journals.
Having said that, I do feel HK is not a good place for doing advanced research because of her lacking in sufficient research funding and government support.
As you're a RF in the UK now, I think it'd be better for you to get your papers published, and apply for a lecturer post in a UK uni. I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy being an academic here.  
This is just my two cents drawing from my personal experience in HK and the UK.

[ 本帖最後由 uker 於 2010-5-8 06:47 AM 編輯 ]

回覆 引用 TOP

引用:
原帖由 sunshine_chan 於 2010-5-8 01:16 AM 發表

Hi narius, thank you for sharing so much information here. I amcurrently  an research fellow  in an university in Uk on a two- yearcontract. I am wondering if I leave the university to stay a few yearsin industrial labs such as the HP labs or some national labs , do Istill have the big chance to go back the academia? Because my ultimategoal is to go back HK's universities following the path like associateprofessor ->professor
It boils down to the SAME THING .. your research track record. You have to make sure that wherever you go, the environment will allow you to develop and publish high quality research. Take HP Labs as an example. We do publish but researchers are NOT encouraged for some lines of research (like abstract math that will never be used in a million years). So there is a bigger need to align your research goals with the organizations. The alignment (or lack of) will seriously impact your publications.

回覆 引用 TOP

Many thanks to uker and narius!

回覆 引用 TOP

[隱藏]
thanks for the info

回覆 引用 TOP

開!

回覆 引用 TOP

引用:
原帖由 sunshine_chan 於 2010-5-8 01:16 AM 發表

Hi narius, thank you for sharing so much information here. I am currently  an research fellow  in an university in Uk on a two- year contract. I am wondering if I leave the university to stay a few years in industrial labs such as the HP labs or some national labs , do I still have the big chance to go back the academia? Because my ultimate goal is to go back HK's universities following the path like associate professor ->professor
It boils down to your research track record. Let me use HP Labs as the example, since i am intimately familiar with it. Many of my colleagues, who regularly publish (and probably have better research records than an average professors) would have no problem getting an academic job (in general, if you talk about HK, you have to consider the specific circumstances). The only disadvantage we face is the lack of teaching experience but usually it will not be a show stopper.

At the same time, there are also colleagues who are more in the development side and have a poor publication record (even when they are doing great internally) and they will never be able to find a decent academic post.

So the point is what position you held is a lot LESS important than your track record.

回覆 引用 TOP

Glad to know that this thread is active again.

I am not a PHD though I had seen someone print PolytechnicHigher Dipoma in short form in their name card.

I may share some of my experience with working with PHDs, both my ex-boss, peers and sub-ordinates in HK.

Thanks for listening.

回覆 引用 TOP

It is heard that most of the psit grad seat are given to mainland students who are given scholarship or RS. Anyone can give more details on this?

回覆 引用 TOP

[隱藏]
引用:
原帖由 野雞大 於 2011-7-4 09:58 AM 發表

It is heard that most of the psit grad seat are given to mainland students who are given scholarship or RS. Anyone can give more details on this?
In which country and in which area?

實用相關搜尋: OU

回覆 引用 TOP

I am in HK. What I heard that there is interview in SZ from HKU.
It thus also happen to US where most of the phd students are not US citizen...

回覆 引用 TOP

I don't think nationality is an issue.

In the US and in HK, everyone that meets the MINIMUM requirements of graduate school admission can apply for the MPhil / PhD programs. However, the schools would of course pick the best out of all applicants to give an offer.

回覆 引用 TOP

Yes, nationality is not a problem. However, there something behind. It is heard that there are less and less local student admitted ( both HK and US) to graduate school. Is the outsiders better( from mainland China) or fewer local students applied for higher degree?

The outstanding students from developed country seems not so keen in getting a higher degree?

回覆 引用 TOP

引用:
原帖由 野雞大 於 2011-7-7 10:11 AM 發表

Yes, nationality is not a problem. However, there something behind. It is heard that there are less and less local student admitted ( both HK and US) to graduate school. Is the outsiders better( from  ...
let me tell you the truth.
phd= cheap labor, high-quality immigrants and future economic motivators for developed countries.

Still, the local students have a marginal advantage over the oversea students when applying the phd programs, depending on the policy adopted by the schools. Hence, the large number of oversea students means large number of oversea applicants.

回覆 引用 TOP

[隱藏]
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

回覆 引用 TOP

提示:支持鍵盤翻頁 ←左 右→
[按此隱藏 Google 建議的相符內容]

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,香港討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意 見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。香港討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言 (刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知 ), 同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權 。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

Copyright©2003- Discuss.com.hk Limited. All Right Reserved.
版權所有,不得轉載。