打印

CU IBBA OR HKU Econ&Fin? (URGENT)

[隱藏]
thx,

seems like everyone agree with econ&fin.
BUT I thought BBA can have majors to specify in....

實用相關搜尋: Spa

引用:
原帖由 deathsex 於 2009-4-20 08:36 PM 發表
thx,

seems like everyone agree with econ&fin.
BUT I thought BBA can have majors to specify in....
I guess you have got the wrong ideas.

People here suggest that you should choose neither of them.

I can tell you that HKU Econ & Fin has a bad reputation in HK. I know a professor of HKU who used to teach Economics, he told me the truth that HKU Econ & Fin students are rejected right away by the banks. You must not overlook the fact that the main stream economics/finance require students to excel maths. Reflect upon the issue twice before you make any decisions.

I am studying BBA-JD in CUHK merely because I didn't do Pure maths last year which renders me unable to get into any decent schools to study Econ in UK and I think BBA is a suitable choice in that I can have more time to work on maths. Fortunately I have got an A in GCE pure maths this year. eventually I am able to go UK now. I see many brilliant EAS students go to USC, Umich, Ivy League. To be frank, those who stay in HK arent, on average, as smart as those who go to USA/Canada (in terms of both academic result and different aspects)

[ 本帖最後由 paullam1 於 2009-4-20 10:09 PM 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 jo~ 於 2009-4-20 11:24 AM 發表

naaa i don't mean that...
I luv hku, i studied in hku b4!

but i just don't think E&F and ibba are any special courses that one should put for their first choice.
(however as long as you're st ...
I graduated from E&F HKU. I'm working in an European i-bank now. I do not suggest you to go for E&F HKU. The courses are really shxt...... studying oversea is the best choice

[ 本帖最後由 ricleung 於 2009-4-20 10:18 PM 編輯 ]

回覆 17# 的帖子

I know a lot of smart ppl who didn't study overseas; on the other hand, I know a handful of people attending top univs for undergrad/grad, and they are just so-so.
That one conclusion can be made without reservation is most ppl who can go aboard is rich; and that's all. Maybe they're good but then nothing makes you superior to your peer just bcoz your family is rich.
Schools are as good as they are and you don't have to play them up/down. People will know. You know, I know and I believe OP knows as well.

Besides, what you have mentioned is simply not the truth. Employers may pick LSE E&F over HKU E&F, but definitely not for local unis. Plus, I know somebody from CityU got into SCB IG, so does it mean employers favour CityU?

Back to OP's question, not sure what type of "considerations" you have now, and in general people don't really distinguish these 2 programs (believe it or not). If you like HKU, go for E&F; if you're into CUHK, go to BBA. It is also possible for you to switch your major after like spending one year, you find your interest is something different.

Er... OK yes, if you have $$$, take advice above and try Columbia/MIT/Yale/....

回覆 18# 的帖子

[隱藏]
Crap courses are everywhere

回覆 19# 的帖子

I agree

I don't mean every student is better in overseas school I am comparing those EAS students. I know you understand my arguments.

It is my first person experience. We know different people and I guess it would be possible for us to come up with different conclusions....

I think it makes sense to say "reputation" does play a big role in labour market.
It would be reasonable to say what others think about is irrelevant if you've got the talent. Yet,  it is sometime the "bad reputation" deprives you of the opportunity of being interviewed. Again, this argument is a general one.

I guess this is a topic worth discussing

[ 本帖最後由 paullam1 於 2009-4-21 12:18 AM 編輯 ]

Btw, what's EAS?  Thx

"You are not going to be in a relationship so long as you are living in a frat house." -- Entourage Season 6

引用:
原帖由 gundam2004 於 2009-4-20 10:33 PM 發表
I know a lot of smart ppl who didn't study overseas; on the other hand, I know a handful of people attending top univs for undergrad/grad, and they are just so-so.
That one conclusion can be made without reservation is most ppl who can go aboard is rich; and that's all. Maybe they're good but then nothing makes you superior to your peer just bcoz your family is rich.
Schools are as good as they are and you don't have to play them up/down. People will know. You know, I know and I believe OP knows as well.

Besides, what you have mentioned is simply not the truth. Employers may pick LSE E&F over HKU E&F, but definitely not for local unis. Plus, I know somebody from CityU got into SCB IG, so does it mean employers favour CityU?

Back to OP's question, not sure what type of "considerations" you have now, and in general people don't really distinguish these 2 programs (believe it or not). If you like HKU, go for E&F; if you're into CUHK, go to BBA. It is also possible for you to switch your major after like spending one year, you find your interest is something different.
networking opportunities with people who have rich family backgrounds may make overseas students a lil bit superior? i doubt if any celebrities/billionaires in hk wouldnt send their children abroad.

Certainly it doesnt. All that means= Commercial banks don't screen off CityU students right away. HKU/CU/UST have their solid brandname among banks in hk, so surely u wont weigh cityu hk against any of them.

'economics' just looks a little bit more appealing when u compare that with BBA in title of course. at least u choose one that is more likely to inspire u and make u think

am i correct?

[ 本帖最後由 nathant 於 2009-4-21 01:14 AM 編輯 ]

引用:
原帖由 hedgie 於 2009-4-21 12:18 AM 發表
Btw, what's EAS?  Thx
Early Admissions Scheme??

i think that's when their CE score is high enough that they dont have to write A level and can go straight into U.

回覆 23# 的帖子

[隱藏]
Probably you got me wrong.

The example I used was just to argue paul's idea about "HKU E&F" is bad, according to the professor there (at least in labour market, i dun agree).

Actually I am not sure about that because HK HRs love "business graduates". (I believe hedgie will say something but that's what I observe, even for reputable companies).

I am not from BBA and have never took any related courses, so I am kind of neutral about that. And I believe if you want to learn, opportunities are everywhere and not limited to your major. Studying econ (actually any subject) doesnt guarantee you becoming smarter.

回覆 21# 的帖子

Er... yes maybe you are right. Probably we are talking about different samples.

And yes, graduates from overseas reputable unis are highly sought in the labour market; that's true that I will never argue about this.

引用:
原帖由 gundam2004 於 2009-4-21 10:14 AM 發表
Er... yes maybe you are right. Probably we are talking about different samples.

And yes, graduates from overseas reputable unis are highly sought in the labour market; that's true that I will never ...
I guess nothing is impossible. Yet, as a matter of fact, I would suggest one to go study abroad as long as possible

And.... BBA really sucks... I am studying business now... and I have decided to go Warwick and study Economics and International studies

回覆 27# 的帖子

Actually I can tell you not only BBA... many other subjects suck as well.

Things suck if you think they are. Trust me, many people find their major suck... (including me )

引用:
原帖由 gundam2004 於 2009-4-21 10:38 AM 發表
Actually I can tell you not only BBA... many other subjects suck as well.

Things suck if you think they are. Trust me, many people find their major suck... (including me :smi ...
haha~ That's true!

I know many ppl have a strong feeling that Economics sucks... - -"

I know it too.... but at least I find it pretty interesting...

[隱藏]
As a CUHK IBBA & PAC double major student,
my comment is that I will not choose IBBA if I can choose once again.

伸延閱讀
 提示:支持鍵盤翻頁 ←左 右→ 發新話題發佈投票

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,香港討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意 見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。香港討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言 (刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知 ), 同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權 。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

Copyright©2003- Discuss.com.hk Limited. All Right Reserved.
版權所有,不得轉載。