Yanieo 2011-12-24 02:01 PM
Expat to Malaysia?Just before the Christmas holiday, my boss who is going to relocated to Malaysia for a new position asked whether I would be interested to go with him and set up a new team there from nothing.
To give some idea about my background, I am 28 years old, unmarried but living together with girl friend for years. I have been a team manager leading 6-10 people for around 2 years. Before that I was just a general staff.
He was just asking my willingness and can't give concrete details as to salary increase, benefit, etc. But he did say if I am willing to go, he'll request a hybrid package (local mix expat) for me, which gives housing allowance, certain home leaves, etc. He also hinted that the initial salary increase might not be dramatic instead it should go up overtime rapidly if I could keep the consistently growing performance as I had always been doing in HK. He also said that he is very likely to be GM in Malaysia after 1-2 years.
I then discussed with my family & gf. Our conclusion is to demand at least 50% salary increase otherwise I should stay. It is justified by the followings:
1. My performance for this year has been very good and I would have salary review in the near future so I expect to have at least 5-10%+ salary increase anyway. In fact, my salary increase percentage has always been the top 10% of the department and except one year, all these increase are double digits.
2. Even so, as I climbed up from a very junior position, my salary is still underpaid as a manager by at least 20-30%.
3. My boss said he had 3 expat candidates in mind and I am the first choice.
4. The task of setting up a new team from nothing would not be easy. I expect it would be even tougher than the life in HK.
5. The hardship that I have to leave my long term relationship and family and adapt to a new environment, culture & language.
I have several business trip experience but never tried expat. I have no idea what should I expect. Another pushing factor is that I feel my career advancement in HK is becoming limited, I mean I feel like I am close to the top of what I could achieve if I choose to stay. Is expat experience as a managerial role an important criterion that company would value?
[[i] 本帖最後由 Yanieo 於 2011-12-24 02:05 PM 編輯 [/i]]
danielglobal 2011-12-27 09:50 PM
From what I read from you, you should 110% accept the offer if you are a single person. Since you are living with your girlfriend, could she move to malaysia with you? Most likely no. You are under your boss and your boss trust you to create a brand new team in Malaysia thats why he/she is asking you to follow the movement. You should go for it for career sake. Your girlfriend will be your biggest challenge to decide whether you are taking the job or not. Yes, you become an expat and bring more experiences back to Hk in next couple years then you will have greater ability to climb up higher position. So...Girlfriend? or Job? Marriage or Money? :)
sc2 2011-12-29 04:08 PM
I would go for it if I were you..
BTW I was in Malaysia for 8 years..