Professor 就cityu有1,2 個對我有印象既。

精選樓盤
引用:
原帖由 酒中痴 於 2018-10-7 01:53 PM 發表

Master 在 cityu 讀。  under public policy.
想讀幾年貢獻下自己比社會。
如題, 請問cityu 定hku 好?
你係MPhil 定MSc 先? 有無做dissertation? 打算full time定part time?如果只有MSc , 無做dissertation及打算part time兩者其中有一個答案係係, HKU 就應該唔會收; CityU 的話, MSc 成績好好, 都有機會收.

可以 HKU 就 HKU 啦...

回覆 引用 TOP

Sigh .. obviously it depends on your research interests. Pick the professor(s) that you are interested to work with, NOT the school. 

I assume you have already read up on their research? If so, you can cold-email them. I will also suggest you figure out who the PhD coordinator (for your area) is, and contact him.

I obviously don't know how the particular program operates, but for mine (and all the colleagues that run PhD programs), we *always* talk to every applicants before admitting them. 

[隱藏]
引用:
原帖由 酒中痴 於 2018-10-7 01:53 PM 發表

Master 在 cityu 讀。  under public policy.
想讀幾年貢獻下自己比社會。
如題, 請問cityu 定hku 好?
竟然係City,通常所知cityu猛既prof都係EE/CS個邊,但去public policy既話,就唔太清楚
phD的話...,睇最有興趣既field入面既prof比較好...,反而校名幫助一般般...(如果間公司睇phD牌頭係睇大學而唔係睇prof既話..,相信好打極有限)

引用:
原帖由 uzumymw888 於 2018-10-7 11:27 PM 發表

如果間公司睇phD牌頭係睇大學而唔係睇prof既話..,相信好打極有限
The OP may or may not go to industry after his PhD (i suppose in HK the academic market is narrow though?). I don't think there are a lot of public policy industrial jobs. May be some think tank?

If he is interviewing for an industrial research job, the recruiting process will be similar to an academic job (i.e. there will be expert evaluating his research track record). For a good research position, it is also NOT all about the prof (although that is certainly part of the signal). It is about his own research contribution. In fact, we are recruiting right now, and one of the main issue for students from established profs is whether they can do research independently, or if they are being carried. In previous hires, we had actually called up the candidates' coauthors (may or may not be the supervising professor) to ask about their specific contributions.

Certainly it is a waste of his time if he is not going for a research career.

回覆 引用 TOP

Do you have a family to support or mortagge to pay off? You will be around 45 when you graduate. And you will have big trouble finding a job as no companies are willing to hire a mid aged PhD grad, and academic jobs are rare. They prefer overseas PhDs and tend to avoid inbreeding. But if you are rich it shouldn’t be a problem.

Hku 其他都喺野雞大學

回覆 引用 TOP

PP去HKU or 新加坡啦, 當然有錢既話去美國讀,我有中國同學係U Pitt.讀PP PHD (education 果方面),宜家係國務院做

[ 本帖最後由 johnso56 於 2018-10-8 09:23 AM 編輯 ]

CMU
Hollywood Badgers
[隱藏]
Yes my master have dissertation to do. I wanna study Phd full time.
引用:
原帖由 nights_tm 於 2018-10-7 06:25 PM 發表

你係MPhil 定MSc 先? 有無做dissertation? 打算full time定part time?如果只有MSc , 無做dissertation及打算part time兩者其中有一個答案係係, HKU 就應該唔會收; CityU 的話, MSc 成績好好, 都有機會收. ...

靚女都總會有一日離開我, 酒係唔會離我而去既!
一個唏噓既酒中打工仔.......

回覆 引用 TOP

Yes thanks. And if possible to study and graduate, I will stay in academic jobs to contribute to society.
引用:
原帖由 narius 於 2018-10-7 11:07 PM 發表

Sigh .. obviously it depends on your research interests. Pick the professor(s) that you are interested to work with, NOT the school.

I assume you have already read up on their research? If so ...

靚女都總會有一日離開我, 酒係唔會離我而去既!
一個唏噓既酒中打工仔.......

回覆 引用 TOP

Thanks. That pressure not high. And HK is dying, I prefer to have this change if possible rather than work for employers in HK, as those private companies all no society responsibilities. I try to have a more meaningful life by trying this change. Of course I not sure they will choose me or not, I am just fair in academic. But would like to
spend 3-4 years to see what's next.
引用:
原帖由 fullbuster 於 2018-10-7 11:48 PM 發表

Do you have a family to support or mortagge to pay off? You will be around 45 when you graduate. And you will have big trouble finding a job as no companies are willing to hire a mid aged PhD grad, an ...

靚女都總會有一日離開我, 酒係唔會離我而去既!
一個唏噓既酒中打工仔.......

回覆 引用 TOP

In my field of public policy, those courses are famous only HKU and CityU.
So I will try either one. After read opinions I think I will choose CityU.
引用:
原帖由 uzumymw888 於 2018-10-7 11:27 PM 發表

竟然係City,通常所知cityu猛既prof都係EE/CS個邊,但去public policy既話,就唔太清楚
phD的話...,睇最有興趣既field入面既prof比較好...,反而校名幫助一般般...(如果間公司睇phD牌頭係睇大學而唔係睇prof既話..,相信好打極有限) ...

靚女都總會有一日離開我, 酒係唔會離我而去既!
一個唏噓既酒中打工仔.......

回覆 引用 TOP

Another important advice. For profit companies don’t care about social responsibility, ethics... but this should not be the reason for you to take up an academic job because academia has its dark side too, very dark. Professors can be academically unethical too. For example they sometimes fabricate the data, only select the ‘right’ data, or hire someone to do the research and write the papers for them. Yet you will be spending most of your time doing research sacrifcing your students. If you are not lucky enough, you will likely end up teaching in a community college. This is even worse in terms of job security, satisfaction, prospect... When students are the customers, you must be an edutainer doing all sorts of things to please them. I learn it the hard way so I’m thinking of getting out of it. In fact I’m planning my way out.

So good luck

[隱藏]
Thanks so much for your advice. Yes all field have its dark side. Maybe future really need some "good luck"
引用:
原帖由 fullbuster 於 2018-10-8 05:38 PM 發表

Another important advice. For profit companies don’t care about social responsibility, ethics... but this should not be the reason for you to take up an academic job because academia has its dar ...

靚女都總會有一日離開我, 酒係唔會離我而去既!
一個唏噓既酒中打工仔.......
 30 12
 提示:支持鍵盤翻頁 ←左 右→
[按此隱藏 Google 建議的相符內容]

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,香港討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意 見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。香港討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言 (刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知 ), 同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權 。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

Copyright©2003- Discuss.com.hk Limited. All Right Reserved.
版權所有,不得轉載。